Monday, February 23, 2009

Sewing!

Dan's mom bought all of the girls in our family sewing machines for Christmas! I've always wanted to learn to sew and I'm very grateful for her giving me the capability to do so now more easily and conveniently than I could have before. Of course I could have asked MY own mom to teach me the whole time I was living at home... I regret that never happening. Different priorities at the time. I guess I'm becoming much more motivated now that I'm a mom and feel the need to become more domestic. :)

This is almost exactly what my machine looks like.

My first day of sewing consisted of getting to know the machine and playing around with the types of stitches on a scrap piece of fabric. It even does button holes!

For my first real project, I decided to follow a new little trend and make a car seat cover. This is basically the same thing as throwing a blanket over the car seat to keep baby warm and protected from the elements, BUT it's cuter, it won't blow away, and is made to keep the handle exposed for easy carrying.

The finished product! Thank you Sarah Jane (Dan's sister) for being such a great teacher! You can buy one of these for somewhere around $30 and I'm pretty sure I made it for less than $20. This was a great FIRST sewing project because the lines didn't have to be straight. :)
McKenna seems to like it too. We hope to get some good use out of it before the beautiful Spring weather comes and we won't need it anymore.
Any ideas for an EASY second project???

(Side note) Dan had these beautiful tulips delivered to my work for Valentine's day! I love you!

9 comments:

Swa said...

so cutes! I love it!

Hksedwick said...

That is really cute! I have never seen one those before.

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Cute colors! You guys are so trendy! I made little brother's hooter hider last night. That went well, but I don't really suppose you need to make any more of those :)

Hksedwick said...

oh and I think an apron would be an easy next project or pj pants

K Thompson said...

Cool Laura! How did you hook it on to your baby seat? See... Sewing isn't that hard. Just have a good teacher beside you and follow directions, eh? A whole new world can open up to you - after the baby goes to sleep.....

Brynn said...

MAD SEWING SKILLZ

Brett and Rachel said...

Sooo cute! What a good idea. Where did you find the pattern, or did you just make it up?

Brooke said...

Nice work Laura. Sewing is seriously fun. I've noticed that most of my sewing projects revolve around baby showers, I rarely make anything to keep :). So, having said that, if you need patterns for cute burp cloths, nursing covers, diaper cases, baby shoes, or sundresses, I've found some good ones and they make great baby shower gifts!

joel and laura michelle said...

amazing job on the sewing project. i have never seen those before. that trend hasn't hit the east coast yeat. leave it to UT to think of the best baby inventions! she is such a doll!