Monday, November 30, 2009

Back in the Saddle


In case you can't read the sticker on my shirt, it says SUBSTITUTE.  As in, substitute TEACHING!  That's right folks.  I finally got my act together enough to get back in the classroom since I quit in July.  I put out a little flier to three local elementary schools advertising myself, and the calls quickly started coming in.  Not because I'm good or anything, I just think these teacher's were desperate for a break. I accepted a Thursday/Friday job in 1st grade for a former co-worker of mine.    
Here are some of the great things about going back to teaching through substituting:
  • Showing up 10 minutes before the first morning bell and every thing's ready for you!
  • Keeping my classroom management skills fresh
  • Getting points to help towards renewing my teacher's license
  • Having old students excited to see me
  • Seeing past co-worker friends
  • Being able to leave at the end of the day before 4 pm and again, everything is already ready for the next day!  
  • Not having to worry long term about those kids that you KNOW need some serious help.
  • It was a nice break from the daily routine with McKenna.  I'm sure I'm not the only mom who enjoys a break from her kid(s) every now and then. :)  
Now, of course there are down sides of substituting.  But I mainly wanted to focus on the positive for now. Thankfully one of my visiting teachers was able to watch her Thursday and Dan took the day off to watch her on Friday. I hope to get a sub job once or twice a month.  I love teaching!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! The world could use more fabulous teachers like you! I have to admit, there are definately days when I wish were simply a sub.

Alyson said...

I love teaching!

That's the kind of teacher we all want in the classrooms!

Laurie Marsh said...

I can totally understand. I loved my 6 years of subbing. It is a pretty sweet deal when you can take all the negatives of substitutes away, like already know the students so they can't prank you and helping those teachers out that you love! Plus you can always say yes or you can say no if it doesn't fit in your day. Great job!