Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Aug- Week 2- Anna So Sick, Granddaughter Sleepover

Sunday we got a sweet report of Ben saying a very thoughtful and tender closing prayer in Primary. This kid is generally so kind, so it's nice to hear other people notice that, as well.  

McKenna borrowed my phone and took some great pictures.  It's fun to see the world through her eyes.  

My mom and dad and siblings hung out at our place too for most of the day and got some sweet Bethany snuggles. 
I took this picture after the kids were in bed for the night.  So far, Bethany seems to be a snuggler like Anna was/is.  
 Monday was a day of laundry and the kids playing pretty well together!  Here's some cute dress-up pics.  McKenna was hosting "Ben's Got Talent."  They had so many performances and I was the judge.  
I love how Anna was pretty much copying everything McKenna did and said.
Monday evening, Dan worked late so the kids and I went to dinner with my parents at Kneaders.  Then once Dan got home, McKenna taught our Family Home Evening outside about pioneers.  The activity of Ben's choice was Uno.  My mom gave out the rock crystals she had started a week before, and check it out!  We had yummy flavored and colored "suckers."  
 Tuesday the kids went to their last Summer movie.  
I enjoyed this peanut! 
 Tuesday night our home teachers came and gave a great lesson about letting our light shine.  The day before I had noticed Anna started having a runny nose.  Oh joy!  This would be the second cold she had in one month.  She was clearly not feeling well.

By late in the evening, her breathing was quite rapid, even while resting, and sounded pretty wheezy.  I put the older kids to bed and we decided Dan would take Anna to InstaCare.  They found out quickly her blood oxygen levels were in the low 80s (should be at least 90) so they gave her a nebulizer treatment to see if her breathing problems might be asthma related.  It was not, so they told Dan to take her up to Primary Children's Hospital.  Dan called to let me know so I quickly packed them a few things to take with them on their way.  
This picture just breaks my mommy heart!!  They put a canula in her nose and she was on oxygen from 10pm-2am.  They did a chest x-ray, which was clear.  I think they also tested for RSV which was negative.  
Poor Anna and daddy were both exhausted by the time they finally admitted her (around 2am) to keep her overnight.  
 By Wednesday morning her oxygen levels had come up enough that they said she would be discharged soon. We got to face time with her a bit and see that she was in good spirits.  She ate breakfast while watching Sofia the First AND got lots of daddy snuggles.  She was a pretty happy girl even though she was so so tired.  Dan also said she was quite bored and mostly wanted to get down from bed and play! 
The "final" diagnosis was bronchiolitis.  They said to give her plenty of fluids, rest, Tylenol for any fevers, sleep with a humidifier... They got home around 12.  Ben drew this cute family picture to welcome Anna home.  
Dan gave Anna a bath, fed her some lunch, and put her to bed with the humidifier in her room.  
My mom and Aunt Pickle hung out at our house for most of the day.  I was able to take just McKenna back to school supply shopping.  I even left Bethany home and I think they were pretty happy about that. ;) 
Dan's sister Sarah Jane brought over dinner that night and I gave Dan a haircut.  

 Thursday I took McKenna for a back to school hair cut.  They cut off about 3 inches and it looks SO fresh and healthy!
Before
After
After the haircut we packed a lunch and went to my parents condo in Layton for a picnic lunch (since they don't really have furniture while they stay there temporarily.)  Ben enjoyed wearing my brother's motorcycle helmet.  Anna was still coughing lots and had a runny nose, but no fever.  
However, after Anna's nap, she woke up with a fever and rapid breathing again.  
By that time it was late afternoon/early evening so I called the pediatrician and they told us to come in for their night clinic hours.  Dan's work was also having a picnic /BBQ that evening.  So I took McKenna and Ben to the picnic and I went with Anna and Bethany, and thankfully my parents, to Anna's doctor's appt.  My parents helped hold Anna whenever I needed to nurse Bethany, and they helped keep Anna away from Bethany in general.  
Anna's blood oxygen levels were low 90s when we got there.  They gave her another nebulizer treatment which slowed her breathing rate slightly, but didn't change her sats.  The Doctor also diagnosed her with an ear infection and pink eye.  Poor girl was a mess!  He said it was very unusual for her to be having such a rapid breathing rate  and labored breathing but her chest sounded clear!  He decided to treat her as if it might develop into viral pneumonia.  He prescribed amoxicillin 3 times a day instead of 2 for the ear infection and to cover the pneumonia and drops for the pink eye 4 times a day.  It was certainly an adjustment getting her to take those meds peacefully 3-4 times a day.  But eventually she got the hang of it and cooperated. 

Friday morning the doctor wanted to see Anna for a follow-up.  After only two doses of meds, he said her ear and eyes looked better and her sats were up to the high 90s.  He said her chest sounded a little more congested but that was probably due to things loosening up.  He told us to watch for more fevers and rapid labored breathing, but he mostly expected things to only keep improving, which thankfully, they did!

Miss Bethany cute sleep pose. 
Capturing more facial expressions and I love how she grabs only my hand sometimes when I touch her face and body.  AND, we're so so thankful Bethany didn't catch any of Anna's yucky sickness.  Although that could be thanks to ME getting sick and passing on all my antibodies through my milk.  You're welcome, dear. ;) 
McKenna and Ben were at Dan's work during Anna's doctor's appointment, so I picked up McKenna but left Ben there with Dan for the rest of the day.  Once the little girls were down for their naps, McKenna and I did some more back to school prep like loading her backpack, getting some reading minutes, and a little music/piano refresher.
 In the evening Ben went with Dan to work a Foster Care booth at the SL County Fair until 9:30 pm. I'm pretty sure it was one of the best days of Ben's life, spending so much one-on-one time with daddy even though Dan was "working" the whole time. They also saw a few motorhome/horse trailers...Ben (and Dan for that matter) were in heaven.
That night McKenna also had the BEST night!  She got to go to the Webster Granddaughter sleepover that Gma and Gpa's house!  It was a cowgirl theme.  
They had "cowpies" for dessert too (ice cream discs with chocolate syrup).  
 Jeweled leather bracelets
 Pony races
 Shooting with rubber band guns

 Pinata
 funny girls!
Thanks Grandma and Grandpa for such a wonderful time!  McKenna can't wait for the next one! 


2 comments:

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

That poor Anna girl! Such a sad story :( I love McKenna's hair cut. And I'll bet that Ben thought his day with Daddy was such a treat!

Hksedwick said...

Sick kids are no fun, but especially if they are sick enough to warrant hospital time. Poor little girl.