Thursday, July 9, 2009

Change of Employment

As many of you know, I (Laura) have recently had a pretty major life change. For the past three years I've been employed by the Davis School District teaching First Grade.   I made the decision back in January to quit at the end of the school year. Read on for the reason...

I'd like you to meet my new full time employer.


Isn't she cute?!?!  Instead of a yearly salary, I'll be getting paid daily with hugs, kisses, smiles, and giggles!  I'm SO lucky!

I am now, officially, a stay at home MOM and I couldn't be happier!  Sure, I got a little taste of this job already from Oct.-Jan. (maternity leave) and then every time I had a three week break. However, during those times I always had in the back of mind other things I needed to do and get done for work. And that stuff always hanging out in the "back of my mind" was pretty distracting and stressful!  Now, ALL my focus can be on McBaby (and Dan still of course).  I know being a mom won't necessarily be easier. But, I'm pretty sure it WILL be easier than trying to juggle BOTH working and mommy-ing.

Ending the school year was great fun and pretty surreal.  A great time of reflection and anticipation for my future plans. 

We had our First Grade Program
(In case you were wondering, they're singing about a "monkey in the treetops, swingin' with ease.  Scratchin' his back and pickin' at fleas...")

I received many generous gifts and cards from parents.
I said good-bye (but not forever) to some WONDERFUL co-workers.
My First Grade Team!  
I packed up my classroom!

And now I'll be spending my summer (and probably longer) organizing my things and deciding what to keep and store, give away, or leave out for McKenna to use in the near future.  

It's official!  I'm a Level 2 teacher in the state of UT.  (This means I'm not a "rookie" anymore.)  Now I'll just keep this license current by substituting and taking classes here and there.    

Wish me luck on my new life adventure!  
I would like to go back to teaching someday...  Who knows if that will be 5 or 20 years down the road??

13 comments:

Swa said...

She seems like a pretty awesome boss! Cute as a bug, that's for sure. Now you can do fun things with us, we're so excited!

Alyson said...

Aw, good luck sweetie. Way to hang in there until you got your level 2; but I'm so excited about the new employer!

Butler Family said...

You don't need any luck because you are such a natural mommy and she is going to be so happy to have her mommy around all the time. Welcome to becoming a stay at home mom. There is truly NOTHING better

ME Moon said...

yay for being a stay at home mom!!! i know _exactly_ how you feel, but i didn't do the post-delivery working. you'll miss it but you won't. and you'll have some "grand adventures" :)
i'm so excited for you.

Bonnie @HobbytoHOT said...

hurray!hurray!hurray! and thanks for taking time to come out on sat! we love you guys!!!

heather and ronnie said...

yay! congrats on finishing one chapter and on to the next. good luck...but i don't think you'll need it!!

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Yay for Thompson! I am so glad your new employer is at least cute, because I would guess she is gonna be pretty demanding :) And so glad you got your level 2. I know it wasn't super fun, but it will allow alot more things in the future! And I am super impressed you could be a mommy/teacher/wife all at the same time! Good on ya!

emily mcd said...

Atta girl! Congrats and good luck with the new boss! ;) So cute.

Mindy said...

You are now officially what I want to be more than anything. :)

Mary said...

woohoo! how exciting. miss you guys! :)

Kellie said...

i consider being a play-at-home mommy the best job i've ever had. And wow...that's a lot of classroom gear!

John and Jessica said...

Big changes but so worth it! Oh, you will love being a stay at home mom! It's the best job EVER and with your darling McKenna it is even better! I saw on Dan's FB that she doesn't have to wear her helmet as much anymore, hooray! :)

Mickellerox said...

1)You get paid in girlie giggles! That's straight out of the "Thumb Wars" movies. :)

2)You'll either have to lower her crib or shorten her arms

3)Sometimes you can sleep better if you brace yourself first...trust us ;)