Saturday, January 15, 2011

New Baby BOY!

Labor and Delivery Story/Timeline

6:30am- Hospital calls to tell us to come in for our induction!

8:30am- Arrive and check in at hospital

9:20am- Pitocin drip started. As it started to take effect, I never felt the painful contractions; just pressure.

10:40am- Epidural :) Why wait for the pain to hit, right? I was pretty sore from moving the day before anyway, so it was nice to have some relief.

Ridin' the "Princess Cruise" while I dilate. :)

11:30am- Doctor broke my water and I was finally checked. After the pitocin had been dripping for over 2 hours, I was still only dilated to 2cm! I don't think this little guy would have ever come on his own. My doctor then left the hospital to go to a wedding in downtown SLC. He knew I wasn't progressing very quickly.

12:30pm- 3-4cm dialated

1:45pm- Still only a 3-4 cm. They placed a contraction intensity monitor on/in me. Once they knew my contractions were pretty intense, they backed the pitocin off a bit.

2:30pm- Finally getting somewhere. Dilated to a 5cm.

3:00pm- I started to feel these pressure waves about every 1-2 minutes. I felt like I really needed to PUSH something out of me. Hmmm. Maybe a BABY! The nurse checked me, and quickly paged my doctor because I went from a 5 to a 10 and he was ready to come out!

Unfortunately, just like McKenna, he was face up. They used forceps to turn the little dude :(

By 3:20pm we had our beautiful baby boy!! And man, was he a screamer!

Benjamin Daniel Webster

8lbs 2oz

23in long! Tall like his daddy!






Daddy got to cut the cord, put on the first diaper, and his little hat.


I was a little hesitant to have the skin-to-skin contact because his vernix coating was SO thick and cheesy! But I'm glad I did. It was a great moisturizer. :)


Our wonderful Dr. Irion (Dan's uncle)


I know it's a dark video, but this shows you his nice set of lungs.

27 comments:

ME Moon said...

he's got a set of lungs just so he can make himself heard...since mckenna knows how to make herself heard he had competition ;)

CUTE baby! take good care of yourself and him. let dan baby you both ;)

John and Jessica said...

Congratulations!! He's a cutie :) Glad everything went well with closing, moving and delivery! Hope everybody is finally getting some rest and adjusting well!

Cole and Mindy Smith said...

YEAH YEAH YEAH!!! Welcome little Benjamin! We are SOO glad you are here S&S. Cant wait to meet you and squeeze those cute little cheeks! YEAH! Way to go Laura! (and Dan:) )

Brooke said...

With a name like Benjamin, he's bound to be a looker :). Congratulations guys, we're so happy for you!

Kris and Teresa said...

Congratulations! What a cute boy!

Kikal said...

Yay a baby finally! I'm glad you are all great and things are going well, he's a cutie!

Crystal said...

Congratulations on your adorable new baby and your great new house! So much excitement! I am so happy for you :)

Melissa and Nate said...

CONGRATS! What a great story - I loved all the details! I can't believe you went from a 5 to a 10 in a 1/2 hour! Benjamin is absolutely beautiful and I love the name. Congrats you guys!

Alyson said...

Going from 5 to 10 in minutes or an hour is definitely a Thompson trait, it's nice to see it passes on through dads and to the next generation as well. However long it took me to get to 5, from 5 to 10 was a matter of minutes. Like, ten minutes. Or less. Transition was insane, but it was really short so I guess I'm grateful for that.

Maybe look for that pattern in future births, too, though.

And yay! Congratulations!

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Glad he finally came out! You are a brave soul for the skin to skin :)

C C & R said...

Congratulations! He's so cute! Glad everything went well.

mnjacksons said...

Congrats you guy! what a cutie! good job

heather and ronnie said...

What a cute boy!! Congrats! Now you have 2! Wow!

Heather said...

I'm so happy for you! So glad that things went well with labor. Can't wait to see more pics of the little guy! Congrats!

Casey Jensen said...

Hurray for baby! And mommy. I am so happy for you guys. He is so handsome.

Anonymous said...

I love that he came out screaming! He definitely wanted to let the world know that he had finally arrived! :) CONGRATULATIONS!

Tiff Rudd said...

CONGRATS!!

Kellie said...

so sweet! i'm very excited for you guys and all the new changes that you've had happen. can't wait to see more pictures of benjamin and your new place!

Butler Family said...

wow what a nice and easy delivery for you and he is such a CUTIE!! CONGRATS you guys so much what a beautiful addition to your family

joel and laura michelle said...

sooo thrilled for you guys. he's perfect!

Melissa said...

Congratulations! What a darling chubby little man.

Megan My Dear said...

congrats! he is gorgeous!

to prevent the next one from being face up doing an exercise call "pelvic tilts" on your hands and knees during pregnancy will help rotate them prior to labor. if you labor on hands and knees before an epidural they can turn in labor too. just an fyi!

so happy for ya'll!

Scott and Kel said...

Congrats on your new little guy and your new house! I LOVE his big cry...nothing like a newborn cry. Get some rest...as much as you can at least! So cute!!

Kirsten said...

He's beautiful you guys! Love the mohawk. Hope you're able to get some rest. :)

Brett and Rachel said...

Congrats on the new baby and the new house! So many fun changes! Hope your recovering and adjusting well!

Hksedwick said...

I enjoyed the "long version"!

Laura said...

That is so cool! I love the mommy/baby pictures right after birth! They are so precious!