Thursday, April 7, 2011

Surprise!

My cute parents are moving! To...

Chile - South America!

My dad will be the South American Area Controller for the company he presently works for (The LDS Church's Deseret Farms/Ag Reserves). Kind of caught us all off guard. My dad's boss presented this job opportunity to him on April Fool's Day! But this is no joke- for sure!
The church farm they'll be living on is outlined in red on this Google Earth map. It's about an hour and 10 minutes from Santiago, 20 miles from the coast.
The farm currently has fruit on it, but they're going to sweep all that off and put olives on it for olive oil. Lots to do for them to get ready such as storing furniture, getting passports renewed, Visas, and finding someone to lease their 2011 Sonata to. (They JUST bought that car... terrible timing)

I know this will be such an adventure for them! I'm excited and sad all at the same time. Sad they'll miss seeing my kids as often. I guess we'll have to Skype a lot! They will be there at least 2 years, maybe 3. Luckily, the company will fly them home once a year. They'll have a guest house for visitors, if anyone's interested. ;)

They're going to take a trip to look things over at the end of the month and will be down there to stay by the end of July!!

10 comments:

Alyson said...

I am just so happy that they came down and spent a few hours with me when Emily's fam was here. So glad I got to spend a little concentrated time with them before they are whisked off to foreign lands! Bad, bad timing with the car, though. :(

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Surprise!!! I shoulda thought about doing a post like this. Maybe I will copy you ;)

Kellie said...

Wow! That is exciting!

Cole and Mindy Smith said...

TOTAL surprise! That's SO exciting! WE can miss our mommy's together. :( They will be so great though! Way to go Thompson Parental Units!

Casey Jensen said...

That is exciting and scary. What a great opportunity for them to learn about another culture and for you guys too!

joel and laura michelle said...

that is CRAZY! i hope you guys will be able to visit :)

Laurie Marsh said...

WOW Laura! That is exciting and very far away! Ricky served his mission in Concepcion and it was beautiful. What a great experience. I hope you are able to make a visit to them while they are away. That would be awesome. Love you!

Melissa said...

I guess you will just have to take a trip:)

Butler Family said...

that is very exciting. You guys will have to take a trip out there to see them and see the beautiful parts of where they will be living.

Anonymous said...

How cool! Dave works with your sister at the dating website place, and she had mentioned that your parents might move there. They do such a great job!