Thursday, September 4, 2014

August- Week 1- Chile, Traveling and Day 1

Time to document our childless trip to CHILE!!  Here we are at the airport, totally feeling like I forgot something since I had no children and no phone with me (I left it for the babysitter since I couldn't use it in South America anyway).  On the flight from SLC to Atlanta, Rio 2 was shown and I read Dad Is Fat by Jim Gaffigan.  
Once we got to Atlanta, my sister Emily and her husband Justin met us at our departing gate and we were able to visit and grab a bite to eat for dinner.  The family fun was already happening!  We Facetimed with the kids and got this screen shot of Anna.  She was a little sad to see us and not be able to touch us.  Too cute and breaks my heart all at the same time.  
On the flight from Atlanta to Santiago, there were over 50 free movies from which to choose.  I watched "Enough Said" and "Cats" by Disney.  "Cats" is about a lion pride and the bond between a mother lioness and her cubs.  I had to turn it off b/c it totally made me miss my kids too much...such a baby! I watched a 3rd movie off and on, which I can't remember, while I tried to sleep.  No matter how I tried to get comfortable, my legs kept falling asleep.  Poor Dan... 6'5" people were not meant to fly internationally, so he ended up watching 4 movies. I had a pasta dinner that was kinda gross.  But the breakfast was decent, an egg biscuit sandwich.  We landed and got all our luggage, went through immigration and customs without incident.  Then, we met my mom, dad, brother and sister!  We drove to a gas station that has a restaurant attached, called Pronto.  It's a bridge over the interstate so it was cool to watch the cars drive under you.  
Next, we stopped by grocery store called Jumbo.  We mostly bought breakfast foods and anything else we "wanted to try."  
I immediately slept in car for the rest of the drive home.  Then we arrived at my parents lovely farm house! 
We looked around a little and then napped some more! 
When we were feeling a little more awake, we took a tour of the farm.  We all (8 of us) piled into an Explorer.  Dan enjoyed fresh oranges every day right of the trees in my parents' yard.  

Tiny baby olive trees are each in those white tubes.  

We drove up this hill to get a better look.  
Boy, we look tired! 
Such a pretty view.  
This was the back yard of the guest house on the farm.  
Here's Dan and I messin' around.  
I think we really liked not having kids around for a little while. ;) 
Gorgeous view.  This area of the farm still needs to be planted.  
 Here's my dad in his office.  
That evening, my Dad made a giant vat of chili for dinner.  So nice to have a homemade meal after traveling for 24 hours.  We played a game called Telestrations, and had an early-ish bedtime of 10:30pm.  

5 comments:

Becca said...

So excited to see these pictures!!!! Love that you read Dad Is Fat (hilarious!), and tell Dan that Tyler can sympathize with him about flying internationally. Not comfortable at all. I never slept on those flights. The pictures are beautiful! I love how the grocery store has covered parking! Beautiful home that your parents have too. The game you guys played is really funny. :)

Mary said...

SO fun!!! What a crazy adventure. I love it!

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Excellent start :)

Mindy said...

So jealous of this amazing trip!!!

Mickellerox said...

Yeah Chile family togetherness! :)