Sunday, May 22, 2016

May- Week 1- 10th Anniversary, McKenna's Opera, Tree Cut Down

Sunday Anna unfortunately had a bad runny nose so I stayed home from church with her.  Since our 10th Wedding Anniversary was coming up on Tuesday, and we knew we wouldn't be able to celebrate much on the actual day, we took the kids downtown for a picnic dinner on Temple Square.  We told them our love story and walked around taking a few pictures.  It was a little windy and chilly on the pedestal.  When we got home we watched our wedding video. :) 
We even went into the Tabernacle right after a CES fireside broadcast.  
Monday I did lots of laundry, vacuumed, ran errands while McKenna was at gymnastics, and did some organizing after the kids when to bed.  Typical "mom" day.  

Tuesday, our actual anniversary day, Dan took a half day off work.  And what did we do with his time off??  Weeding and yard work!  :)  So romantic.  Seriously though, the weather was great and working along side Dan is one of my favorite things to do!  I'm so grateful for these past 10 years!  I know some people say "we've had our ups and downs," but really, I can't think of any "downs."  Dan keeps me level headed and gives me way more praise and admiration than I could ever dream of!  We'll be celebrating MORE in September on a Mexican Riviera Cruise!

 Ben and Anna even played nice most of the time.  After lunch, Dan drove Ben to preschool and I went to see McKenna's class opera dress rehearsal.  It made me so excited for the real deal in a couple days.  Ben had soccer that evening.  
Cute Bethany noises.  
Wednesday was another normal day for us. We Skyped my sister, Mickelle, in the evening for her BIRTHDAY!! 

Thursday morning I got an oil change for the van and the kids played great at the dealership.  Ben didn't have regular preschool that day due to parent teacher conferences. So, we had Taggart over to play and I totally FORGOT to pick up McKenna (and other kids) from school!!!  The school didn't even call me until the time I would have normally been getting home.  And of course on the way rushing there to pick them up late I hit every red light and had to stop for TWO trains!  Those poor kids had to wait an extra 45 minutes!  The moms were sweet and understanding but the kids definitely spoke their minds. ;)  
We got home, kids had snacks, and then we had to have McKenna back to school by 5:15 for her opera!  Someone from the Utah opera came to their class in the Fall to teach the kids about all the elements of an opera.  The kids then wrote an opera themselves.  They came up with the setting, characters (McKenna was a princess), plot, words, painted the scenary and even helped write some of the melodies.     
I present to you...Mrs. Poulton's First Grade Class Opera (9mins): The Lego Castle
(The words are being projected on the screen behind them.  McKenna is sitting on the stage on the left side in front dressed as Cinderella.)  
Grandma and Grandpa were so nice to come and support!  
Aunt Pickle came too!
Some cute pictures with her friends.  
After the opera I went to a Relief Society dinner and then a camp meeting.
Friday I had a doctor's appt to get some blood work done to check my enlarged thyroid.  The girl taking my blood told me I *might* bruise.  Ya think?  
Friday night we went out for dinner and a movie (TX Roadhouse and Capt. America) for my sister's BD and had a great time!  
Saturday our awesome Bishop came over to cut down a tree of ours that had been leaning a little more than it should due to past wind storms.  He's very experienced in this area but I tell you what... He's crazy!  ;)  Here's a picture-- we estimate the tree was around 80ft.  He climbed up the fully extended 20 ft ladder, then climbed the tree the rest of the way.  He normally uses a rope to tie his hips to the tree while he uses a chain saw, but he threw down the rope because it was "getting in his way." Dan took a video and if you look closely after the top starts to break off the whole tree sways kind of a lot and Bishop has to hold on for dear life! 
What's even more miraculous is he had about a 20 ft spot to land the tree top between our patio room, house, and power lines and he DID IT!!  He is a blessed man! 
The rest of Saturday we worked on cleaning up the tree mess and cleaning out gutters. I braved the top of the roof and cleaned out the nastiness all by myself! Dan was so proud :)

1 comment:

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Thats a cute way to celebrate your 10 year. But I would be super excited for the cruise if I were you!!! And all the musical stuff your kids do is awesome!