Monday, March 17, 2008

The past week...

So I know it's been over a week since we've posted and here's why. I was studying all last week! That's right- STUDYING! I felt like I was back in college. Since the year 2003, all teachers have to pass this exam (called the Praxis), within the first three years of their teaching career, in order to progress to their level two teaching license. This exam consists of 4 case studies and 24 multiple choice questions. It was a 2 hour timed test (which I don't do well on). It basically asked questions about different student learning styles, different types of assessments, ways to communicate with parents, and teacher professionalism. I had to know educational theorists and basically recall everything I've been doing for the past year and half in my job. I barely finished in time and felt ok-to-good about it. It's a pass/fail thing. And I'll get my scores in about 4 weeks. So... I'll keep you posted.
The next big thing I have to talk about is, after two years in first grade I finally get to move up to 2nd grade!! You may think this is exciting news, but I have to move up a grade against my will. My principal calls me into his office (Friday, March 7th) and tells me there won't be a need for 7 first grade classes next year. And since I'm at the bottom of the totem pole (senority wise) I would have to be "placed" somewhere else. Luckily not another school. So bottom line is, I think I'm going to love working with 7 and 8 year olds, I get to keep the same track (year-round school), I get to keep my same classroom, BUT- I have to come up with a whole NEW curriculum! Wish me luck!


So after being stressed out a little about these things, Dan and I have decided to spend this weekend in the one and only-- LAS VEGAS!! Dan has spring break this week and I have Friday off of school. So we're leaving Thursday night and we'll be back Sunday night (Easter Sunday). We hope to see and show or two (either Blue Man Group and/or Stomp), go to the temple, and relax in the hotel. Hopefully our next post will have pictures from our little trip.

6 comments:

Sibber said...

Lovely post honey! I'm excited for you two to get away... that will be fun! my vote is to see STOMP! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I've never seen blue man group, but I've seen stomp like 3-4 times... it's awesome! Have a great trip... but first ... let the games begin! da da dunnnnnnnn!

Anderson Family said...

If you see this comment before heading to Vegas you should let me know. Nicole and I still live in Vegas!

Brynn said...

Oh man! I'm glad that you did ok/good on your test! I've been wondering and wondering about it! And hooray for a get away to warm weather! Have fun!!

Mindy said...

All I have to say is a BIG thank you for getting the title of "STDs" off the top of your blog!! :) Hope you have a maaaarvelous time in Vegas! :)

Laura said...

Sounds like a busy week! That stinks you had to take a test... I hate tests, especially timed ones! I hope it went well! Have fun in Vegas this weekend! :)

Cole and Mindy Smith said...

Boo to the Praxis test! I had to take it as well, but luckily I passed the first time! Don't worry, you passed I am sure! You are one smart cookie! HAVE FUN IN VEGAS...don't forget to tell me EVERYTHING that happens in Vegas,unless it all as to stay there for some reason!;)