Wednesday, October 22, 2008

She's here!!

After my last post I feel a little silly. I posted my frustration on Saturday- we had her on Sunday!! Here's a brief overview of the labor and delivery.

Sunday October 19th

6am-10am- I was having contractions that went from being 10 minutes apart to 5 minutes apart. In that time we were pretty sure this was it so we managed to eat breakfast, shower, and watch Music and the Spoken Word. All the while my contractions were getting closer together and more intense.

10:45am- We got to the hospital

11:15- They checked me and I was 3cm dialated and about 80-90%effaced (progress from Friday's check up!). We went for a few laps around the floor to see if we could help things progress so they wouldn't send us home. (At this point, I still don't have pain relief)

12:15- They check me again and I'm about the same. Maybe 3+cm. They decide since I'm was in a lot of pain they'll keep me another hour (with NO pain meds yet) to see if I'll keep progressing. In the mean time, we have called my Doctor, who is Dan's uncle. Bless that man!!

12:40-My doctor had called to speak to our nurse and told her to admit us, get me my epidural, and he was going to come in and break my water.

1:20- PAIN RELIEF!! I love epidurals!

1:40- I was now dialated to 4cm

2:00- Doctor came in to break my water (huge gush!) and put in internal monitors for the baby's heart and for my contractions. At this point, it was awesome to see the waves of contractions come and go and I didn't feel a thing!

4:00- I was dialted to 8cm. Keep in mind I haven't had any patocin to help speed things up. This progress is all on my own. :)

5:00- I was "complete" and ready to start pushing!

McKenna decided she wanted to be a little difficult and was face up (but still head down). So the doctor gave me an extra boost of the epidural, brought out the forceps, turned her, gave me a little episiotomy, and by 5:53pm she was OUT!! Pretty incredible! The whole thing took less than 12 hours. I'd do it all over again if I had to. But of course with an epidural!

Here are some shots of the day (taken with our NEW camera).

Getting ready to leave for the hospital. 40 weeks and 4 days.

There she is- long neck and all!
She weighed 7 lbs 11 oz, measuring 20.5 oz.What are you looking at?
She hated this part.Footprints in the nursery
Holding daddy's hand right before her hospital bath. First bath
She loved getting her hair brushed! (sorry, the picture won't stay rotated the right way)
All clean! Family photo!
Her close up. Isn't she gorgeous?!?! I'm her mom- I can say that!
Beautiful flowers from visitors
On our way home in her HUGE car seat.
There you have it! We'll post more later about all the wonderful visitors we have had.

25 comments:

Butler Family said...

She is just GORGEOUS. I think already she has a GREAT mix of you and Dan!! Seems like it was a pretty easy day for you given you were late already. That is pretty awesome. Isn't it just wonderful to see what you and Dan have created and then pushing her out you are like wow We did this and then I did this. To me it is just a blessed miracle!! I am so happy for you guys!! Congrats to you and Dan. Yay you are a Mommy:)

Marie said...

She is exquisite! What an angel. Congratulations! In so many ways this is the real beginning of your lives. I wish you the best.

The Kidds said...

Congratulations! She really is beautiful! I'm so happy that everything went well!

love jess

Sibber said...

SOOOOOO cute! I wanna snack her neck off! Love you!

Brooke said...

Oh my goodness you two, what a wonderful thing! Thanks so much for sharing. I love hearing birth stories! She is very beautiful! Can't wait to see more pictures in days to come. :)

joel and laura michelle said...

she is absolutely gorgeous & you can tell us bloggers that all you want. i'm so happy for you and dan & thankful sweet mckenna arrived safely!! enjoy this time of getting to know your sweet little princess!! much love!

ps - did you get the package i sent?

Wendy said...

Yahoo! I'm so excited for you--she's beautiful!

Megan said...

Congratulations you guys! She IS beautiful!

Melissa said...

Wow! I'm so excited for you both! She's absolutely gorgeous. . .I love all that hair! Laura, you looked beautiful in that pic by they way!

Laura said...

Holy cow so is SO CUTE!!! I love all that hair! Oh my goodness, she is so precious, I can't get over it! Well done on such a cute little girl! Makes me hungry for another one! :)

Kristi Veale said...

Congrats. Now the world changes with a new little baby. I mean your world of course. How exciting to finally having your little girl in your arms. She is an adorable little person...can't wait to meet her. You'll have to bring her to the school and tell when so I can come right over!

Shannon said...

what a beautiful baby! congrats! you all look great!

Jessica said...

Congratulations!! She is such a beautiful baby! I am excited for both of you- well the 3 of you!

Jones said...

Congrats! Being parents is the best. We can't wait for our next one to come. Savor each moment...time flies by too quickly.

Unknown said...

Oh she is so sweet. Congratulations, we are so happy for you guys.
Love,
Chet, Bobi Sue & Taylee Stevens

Alyson said...

Yes, she is totally gorgeous. Good job, so happy for you! And it's just the beginning of all the really good stuff!

Epidurals are pretty great, aren't they? I've done natural births and home births and loved them, but Mack was an epidural birth and that was darn nice, too. :)

C C & R said...

Congratulations you two! We'll have to have some play dates with our two little ones!

Anonymous said...

Laura...McKenna is Simply adorable! You can already see a little of both of you in her. I'm so excited for you two! Congratulations!

Katrina said...

Congrats! Congrats! How are things going at home?

hillary and britton said...

Oh Laura! She is just gorgeous! I'm so happy for you and Dan! Hoorah! Now the fun begins. Much love!

cat.janer said...

Congratulations! She is looking so glamorous in that purple bow. I'm so happy for you two!

Hksedwick said...

So Lar, I know you like fat babies...but I bet you LOVE your fat baby! Congrats. I am so excited for you.

Todd and Melissa said...

Yay for that baby! I am pretty sure that if you guys are coming up to Midway for Thanksgiving that you should reserve some time for me to hold her becuase I am pretty sure that I live in Denver so that means I get a V.I.P. turn. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura! I found your blog through Julie's. I love that you posted pictures of the whole thing. What a cute little girl. I like the name McKenna. You hear a lot of McKenzies but not McKenna.

CnLAland said...

Yes...I stalk your blog! This is Lindsay (Parrish). Your baby is absolutley gorgeous! I love her name...and I love all of her dark hair! You guys are going to be fabulous parents! And Laura...you look fantastic in your post labor pics...that is so not fair! :)