Thursday, June 10, 2010

Running for Foster Care

Pardon my intrusion into Laura's...I mean...our blog :)
With all of the garbage going on in the world, I thought I'd share a cool story from my work. I promise I'll try to keep my intrusion into the blogosphere brief and appropriate [something I did not do with my first post :)]
I know many of you love running...something that I have yet to fathom. I have great respect for those of you that do, and am always in awe of the people who overcome great personal obstacles in doing so; exhibit A!

(insert shameless employer shout-out here)

Through my job I've become acquainted with another remarkable individual, Mike, a foster Dad in Salt Lake who is preparing for his first marathon in Park City a few months from now. Mike is running, in part, to raise awareness for the needs of foster children in Utah and has set up a website for his supporters. Because of this and many other reasons, he was nominated for and chosen to be the SLV Foster Dad of the Year! He, along with recipients from other regions, will be awarded next weekend during the Chalk Art Festival.

Just another example of a) the awesome people in this world who try to make a difference, and b) one of the many reasons why I love my job!
P.s. if you are going to be around next weekend (June 18-19), come check out the Chalk Art Festival at the Gateway. It will be a great time and loads of stuff the kids will enjoy! I'm just praying it doesn't rain again...

5 comments:

Mickellerox said...

I also pray it doesn't rain next weekend. Nice guest post! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the pregnancy! I am so excited for you two!

K Thompson said...

Dan, You are ALSO a great example of the good things that happen in life. What you do in your job everyday to help those children is truly remarkable. And, that you'd take the time to recognize someone else? Well, that's just the kind of man you are... Proud to know ya!
We're excited about the Chalk Art Fair. Maybe we'll get to see it in person this time, eh?
Love Ya!

K Thompson said...

Great spin in the guest host chair. Touching. Mike

Mike said...

Thanks for the support and link back. It truly is an honor to have been nominated and awarded Foster Father of the Year. I hope to inspire others and appreciate the work that you do.