Monday, December 14, 2009

I Hate, er, Strongly Dislike Winter!

Allow me to explain. I'm not a fancy writer or anything, so I'm just going to be frank. For as long as I can remember, I've hated being COLD. I hate when my whole body shivers. I hate that I get more head aches in the winter from keeping my shoulders up by my ears (this is my winter "posture"). I have poor circulation so my feet are always cold. I hate that my skin and lips get so dry. I hate that my hair is static-y. I hate that it gets dark so early. I hate driving on scary, snowy, icy roads. I hate that I get sick more often. I hate slipping and falling on my behind, elbow, and hands (like I did last night and now I can't lean on said elbow). Oh, and probably most importantly, I hate subfreezing temperatures that froze one of our pipes, burst, and flooded our basement! I guess life had been going just a little too well :)

Here's the pipe. It bust in two places at the same time, 3.5 feet apart from each other.

Pipe being replaced by Carl Pond Plumbing & Heating (Same day!)
Thank heavens I was home when it happened! Unfortunately, I didn't know where the water shut off was. By the time help (B-I-L David) came it had been running for about 30 minutes. (Thanks to my neighbor, Kellie, who came to my rescue as well!) We quickly began moving our things to the garage and upstairs so our "stuff" wouldn't be too damaged, if at all. There was so much water, it seeped into our neighbors basements on both sides of us. You could see our carpet practically floating on top of all that water. I didn't think to grab a camera mid-flow, but we did document as much damage as possible for insurance purposes.

Some of the damage



These next few pictures are of water damage ACROSS the room from where the leak was.


We punched lots of little holes to help dry things out.

Our misplaced things

Some of the many fans that were in our basement for 4 full days. In total we had 15 fans going at once...I'm not looking forward to our power bill!
It certainly could have been A LOT worse. Up until a few weeks ago all of my teaching materials were right underneath where the breaks occurred. We're thankful it wasn't worse and are so thankful to those who have helped us! Demo/reconstruction starts tomorrow; to be continued...
I'll try to be more positive in my next post. :)

9 comments:

Becca said...

I don't like winter either, and I have the same problem with my feet, they just don't warm up! Tyler gets that pleasure every night when we got to bed. :) So sorry to hear about your exploding watering basement. You and Emily have similar posts here now. ;) As with her I hope things get better. By the way, you can have a winter home here if you'd like. We are in the 70s and 80s most days. :)

heather and ronnie said...

Oh no! I know how this feels. Ronnie and I used to live in a basement...it flooded a couple times. We got rid of a bunch of stuff..o well. Oh and I REALLY dislike winter also!(like REALLY REALLY dislike!) :)

kto1s said...

oh no! What a nightmare! I'm so sorry you've been dealing with this!!

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Positive, smoshitive... You did mention your teaching stuff was moved. Your pictures are much more interesting than mine... None of my drywall "melted". Good luck dear! PS- if you don't like winter, maybe you shouldn't live in Utah... Just a thought ;)

Kellie said...

Ugh. I'm so sorry this happened to you guys. What a pain.

James and Kista said...

I agree with you about winter...
I am sorry about the pipes breaking....
That having been said... Who is next to have water problems in their basement???

Alyson said...

Aw, sweetie. A little bit of bitter makes the sweet more sweet? I know, it's a load o' crap. We don't want syllogisms when stuff goes wrong, we just want to hit the back button and stop it before it starts. I hope the reconstruction goes well.

Casey Jensen said...

That really stinks! What a nightmare. As for the cold weather maybe you should try a "Snuggie." Just kidding. If you haven't watched one of their commercials it will lift your spirits.
On the upside at least we don't get the crazy humidity here in the summer. :)

Cole and Mindy Smith said...

SO sorry, but I don't really understand...tell me how you REALLY feel about winter! :)