Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Laryngitis

*A little background...

I love to SING! I didn't start to truly develop this talent until my senior year of high school. I was in musicals and in choir in high school. Throughout college I sang a few solos, duets and in choirs for church. After getting married, I greatly benefitted from joining a women's choir, Viva Voce! with an amazing conductor Jean Applonie. (My M-I-L was the one that got me to try out and I'm so glad I did!) However, shortly after getting comfortable in this choir, Jean decided it was time to move on to something different and left... leaving no one to take over. :( That was a sad day! Viva Voce was an outlet for me to express myself and continue to develop my voice.

But then something fantastic happened last Fall. Jean started a NEW (mixed) choir which I promptly joined! It's part of the Westminster College's School of Music and was opened for "community" members to join, not just students. It was a fabulous semester getting back into singing in a notable choir with an amazing conductor! We sang great music that was challenging, yet fun and entertaining!
Unfortunately, four days before our Christmas concert (our only concert of the semester) I came down with a cold which developed into laryngitis! I HATE when I lose my voice! Especially when I can't share what I worked so hard on for the last few months! Oh well. I actually kind of enjoyed sitting in the audience and listening. It was a nice date with Dan too. :)

The choir

I would have been standing somewhere around the middle here.

Our Spring concert is in April and I definitely don't plan to be sick this time! :)

4 comments:

Alyson said...

Aw, so sorry you got sick! Hope the spring concert goes better. :)

Crystal said...

I'm so sorry you got sick! And at such a bummer of a time :( I have lost my voice completely a few times in my life, and it is soooo frustrating. Good luck at the spring concert!! :)

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Yes, because being sick is something you can plan ;)

K Thompson said...

Mike and I got to go to the rehearsal as we just happened to be in town right before the concert. I was SO jealous of Laura. The choir was FABULOUS even in rehearsal!!! What a Marvelous director with tons of talented singers! Laura blended right in. I'm sure she hated to miss singing with them, but I'm sure she loved listening to them that night, too.