Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ben- Four Months

(I'm quite behind on blogging. Ben will be 5 months old in 4 days.)

FOUR MONTH STATS
Height: 25.5 in (1.7 in increase in 2 months) 75th percentile
Weight: 12.1 lb (.8 lb increase in 2 months) 10th percentile
*(He dropped from the 60th to the 10th percentile. :( More on this later... )*
Head Circ: 16.2 in (.8 in increase in 2 months) 25th percentile

Other development in the past two months:
  • Had his baby blessing day
  • I started a night time routine with him: change diaper/into pjs, read a few books, swaddle, sing a few songs, put in crib while still awake. He would of course fuss for quite a while at first. But it only took about 5 days before he wouldn't fuss at all and put himself to sleep!
  • Started to laugh!
  • Went to a movie theater with mom and dad.
  • Great tracking and following moving objects across the room with his eyes.
  • Getting so strong! I've already found him in his crib turned 90* (on his back) from where I put him down.
  • On April 3rd, he slept THROUGH THE NIGHT! From 11:15pm-7:45am!! I know. I couldn't believe it myself. He's pretty much done that ever since.
  • Started to bat at things with his hands.
  • Celebrated his first Easter.
  • Found his toes.
  • Had his first non-family babysitter (my visiting teacher) while mom was at the dentist.
  • Second bum yeast infections from mom being on antibiotics- again!
  • Started drinking from a bottle. But I'm still nursing. :)
*So, the pediatrician wasn't too worried about his weight percentile drop. He said, "We'll just scratch our heads at it, and you go ahead and start solids." So we tried some good old rice cereal...
Can't you tell he loves it?







*However, I was a little concerned about the weight percentile drop. Ben had been really fussy after his last two feedings for the day for about a month. I didn't think much of it because I could always get him to calm down and then he was happy and smiley. My sister-in-law suggested I pump and see how much I was producing for those feedings so I could see if the fussiness had to do with my milk supply (don't know why I never thought to do this myself!). Turns out, I was only getting out about 2 ounces!! Poor little dude was starving! I spoke with a lactation consultant and she thinks that between my breast infection when he was 6 weeks old, and him starting to sleep through the night so early, that both negatively effected my breast milk supply. So for the past month, I've been supplimenting with formula for those last two feedings, pumping for extra stimulation once he's done nursing, and taking some herbs to help build up my milk supply. I think it's getting better, but I need to be more consistent about the pumping. It's pretty difficult to do though when Dan's not around much (and I'm not blaming him btw). It's so hard NOT to be stressed about this too, which also doesn't help. I absolutely LOVE nursing and really wish my body would work the way it's supposed to and satisfy his needs! *sigh*

Other recent pictures
Hey, it was cold and McKenna wasn't using it. :)
"Get it off me mom! I look like a girl."
With my mom's step-mom. Gma Pat Condie.

9 comments:

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Thanks! That is just what I needed!!!! :) I think he looks so much like you when his eyes are all open wide. And he looks genuinely concerned when he takes his first bite of cereal. How is all that going, btw? Do you feel like you are producing more?

Alyson said...

Aw, he's just so adorable. Please keep us up on the nursing thing. I totes want to know how that turns out. And sleeping through the night! I am so happy for you.

Butler Family said...

wow he has changed so much. He is so cute. Hope you can get your milk supply up so you can continue to breastfeed him

Hksedwick said...

what a big boy!! I love the pics of him and your commentary

Ryan and Steph Dudley said...

What a cute little dude! Sounds like the sleeping through the night was a good and bad thing!

The Schaefermeyer Family! said...

I know you don't know who I am but I am Brittney Schaefermeyer I went to school with Sarah Jane and my oldest brother is Dan's age. Anyways..I totally am a blog stalker and read yours from time to time. I saw how you said you have a low evening supply..I had the same issue. For us to fix it I left her nurse every hour until bed time after 4 or 5 pm. At first I didn't know what she wanted she was just fussy, but once I just let her nurse for like 5 min each side every hour...it lasted a week and my supply majorly increased in the evening and the cluster feeding ended.I also take some lactation aid supplement. She does it periodically when I can tell my supply is suffering in the evening, but it seems to be working. We've had no weight gaining issues. Good luck! I hope it gets better fast! Congrats on the little dude! Your kids are adorable!

The Schaefermeyer Family! said...

PS. Once I got my evening supply up to normal...I still have days were its lower than what baby wants. Stress of having a 2 year old, working, church callings and husbands working late tend to do that to poor moms. So I started pumping after my morning feeding (When milk production is the highest!)...I generally can get another 2 to 3 ounces after feeding her. I just put it in the fridge and if I need to supplement her last feeding..I nurse her and use that and then pump additional 10 min after. If I don't have to use I will just add to it the next day and once I get 5 ounces I freeze it and use it for my milk stash in case I need to go somewhere. It's been working wonders! Plus then I don't have to use formula. Nothing wrong with it, my first was raised on the stuff, but its so $$$!

Mickellerox said...

I like how he cringes mid-video. Priceless :)

Heather said...

First of all, both kiddos are so cute! Second, I am SO jealous that your 4 month-old sleeps through the night, my 7 month-old wants nothing to do with it (at least twice, sometimes three times a night) and she is 90% for her weight...the girl does not need the extra calories at night :).