Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Savior of the World

I have to go WAY back for a moment.  Sorry, this post is a long one!  This story began during the Christmas season of 2005.  Dan and I were dating and he took me downtown to the Conference Center Theater to see Savior of the World.  I love ANYthing music theater, so I was super excited and Dan told me it's really hard to get tickets to.  At the end of the show, all I could say and think is, "How to do people get to be IN that?  I want to be in that someday!"

Well, fast forward 8-9 months.  We got married, were living in Bountiful, working in our respective jobs, and Dan heard on the radio about auditions for the Savior of the World play.  They were being held at the Bountiful Regional Center.  All we did was sign up online, show up at our assigned time slot, fill out a form, and sing a hymn.  The rest is history.  We were in the Savior of the World cast in 2006 and 2007.  I was in the chorus and got to be an angel in "heaven" observing these miraculous stories and events take place.  Dan got to play several roles: a temple priest, Roman soldier, a disciple, and in 2007, he was asked to play the part of the Savior!  He's tall, can grow a sweet beard, and is very humble.   Very well qualified, in my opinion.  We made some wonderful friends, and just LOVED being able to be a part of such an amazing production that can bring such an added measure of the Spirit to your life especially around Christmas.     

The following year, we had a baby McKenna with us, so we only got to watch the show instead of participating, but loved it just the same. 

Fast forward again to January of 2011.  I had just had Ben, but was still able to participate in a Stake Woman's Conference that was a reader's theater type program about the woman in the Savior's life.  The songs were all from Savior of the World.  Our Stake loved the program so much, they added a few of the Men's songs from the show, and turned it into a Stake Easter Fireside.  This then led to one of our Stake High Councilmen (who  happened to have been in the downtown production for 8 years!) asking our Stake leaders if our Stake could actually perform the play.  With great enthusiasm and support from the Stake Presidency, the ball was rolling and auditions were held in February of this year.  

Dan and I didn't think it was possible for BOTH of us to participate, and he usually lets me take part in all the stake choirs, so we decided I would audition.  (By "lets me," I mean, Dan doesn't have as much of a craving and longing to do musical things like I do.)  I felt so privileged and honored to be asked to play the part of Mary Magdalene.  

Two weeks or so into rehearsals, the director was still without anyone to play the part of the Savior.  Because of past conversations with the High Councilman who knew Dan had played the part before, the director called to ask if he'd be interested in playing the part once again.  Of course, Dan said yes.  (How do you say "no" to something like that?)  **The ONLY way Dan and I could do the play together was because my mom and brother were staying with us for 6 weeks!!  What a tender mercy!  :)   

Here are some pictures from one of our dress rehearsals.  I don't necessarily like for others to see these to boast about Dan or myself, but it was such a memorable experience for us, I wanted to share it. 
 Singing "Where is He This Morn?"


Mary telling Peter the resurrected Lord appeared to her.  
Singing with Mary, the mother of Jesus.  "Alleluia!"  

The disciples in the upper room.

The Savior later appears to Thomas.
The "Fishing" scene where Christ tells them to cast the net on the right side of the boat.  


The Finale: Come, Lord Jesus, come!

I absolutely loved having the pleasure and opportunity of playing the part of Mary Magdalene in the Orchard Stake's production of Savior of the World, Act 2: His Resurrection. I learned many things in the temporal sense. I learned quite a bit about acting and how to better project my singing voice. However, I also learned a great deal in a spiritual sense. It was so meaningful to put myself "in her shoes" and try to react as she would have. She was so confused and sorrowful in the beginning. But after the resurrected Lord appeared to her, she was so joyful and then became a strong witness of Him!
I loved making new friends in the stake. I loved the added measure of the spirit that was a part of my life during the rehearsals and performances. I very much looked forward to every rehearsal and performance, even though it was time away from my children. I knew being a part of this play would ultimately make me a better person if I let that power work within me.
I'm so thankful for our Stake leaders who were inspired to have our stake put this production on!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

You guys both did a great job! We loved watching the program. Claire especially loved seeing you up there singing

ME Moon said...

Did I ever tell you Justin played in the pit orchestra the first 5 seasons of Savior of the World? (Would you call it "season" if it was Christmas, Easter, Christmas, Easter, Christmas?) Anyway, I sat in the pit with him once and there's the part where they hit the gong for the Roman soldiers and I just about fell off my chair. I made Justin go get special musician's earplugs after that. I don't want a deaf husband!
I don't think we've seen the production since he was in it...he enjoyed going to our stake production and said the music has changed a bit (but of course, not the signature songs)
My favorite was when he said Sophie ran up to Dan and said, "Hi Jesus!"

Mary said...

fantastic! you look like such a natural. also, i finally took some time the other day and watched all the videos you've uploaded lately. mckenna cracks me up. i especially love how when she got the kitchen for christmas she was calling gwama kelly. too cute! let's schedule a face time date asap.

Alyson said...

Wow! That is absolutely amazing for a stake production, I'm blown away. I bet it was an incredible experience for the watchers, too!

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Here Here you fabulous singer you!!!

Ryan and Steph Dudley said...

Laura, so sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you! This past week I had the flu :( Tell me what days next week or the week after would be good for you and i will chat with Ry and let you know!