Thursday, July 30, 2015

July- Week 3- Welcome Baby Bethany!!

Wednesday morning- 39 weeks and 4 days pregnant.
Induction day! The earliest I've ever had a baby and feeling like this baby would be pretty small.  
 My parents came to stay at my house at 9:30am.  My dad helped Dan give me a priesthood blessing.  We said good-bye to the kids.  
 Last picture as a family of 5! 
Then Dan and I went out for a brunch at the Blue Plate Diner in Salt Lake.  I felt like I had butterflies in my stomach all morning...pretty excited and nervous! 

The Labor and Delivery Timeline:
12:00- Check in at St Mark's. Cervical exam.  I still measured at 2cm and 70% (same as last appointment on Monday)
12:40- Dr. Watts called. He was just starting surgery at another hospital (LDS) so he should be done by 3ish. 
1:00- Pitocin started on lowest dosage.  They knew how fast my last labor was (3.5 hours), so they wanted to start very slow! 
1:35- Epidural administered.  
2:05- Pitocin raised to 2
2:30- Pitocin raised to 3
4:00- Measured 3cm and 90%. Hospital doc will probably come break water in an hour. Pitocin up to an 8.
4:45- Contractions steady and PAINFUL every 2-3 minutes. A "roomy" 3, progressing very slowly. Baby's heart rate dipped a little at peak of contractions, so Pitocin was backed off.  
5:10- Anesthesiologist upped the epidural dosage.
6:08- Hospital doc finally broke the water when Dr. Watts was starting his last procedure.
6:25- Measured a 5.
6:43- Measured a 7.
6:55- Ready to push!  Feeling pressure and pain with contractions.  Gave me some oxygen.  Two big pushes, one little snip, baby was out at...
7:04pm- Baby born!!  
IT'S A GIRL!!  I was totally shocked!! 

She was definitely our tiniest baby!  
6lbs 7oz.  19in.
 She had the cord wrapped around her neck twice and once around her body.  The nurse said that's pretty common; occurs 25-30% of pregnancies.  



 We initially thought she looked a little like Ben.  But the more time we spent with her, the more we thought she doesn't look like any of our other kids!  
 Skin-to-skin!  She was already sucking on her hand.  It looked like she had a possible sucking blister on her the back of her hand by her thumb.  

Because she was sucking so much on her hand, I went ahead and tried nursing.  She latched on like a champ!  

 This picture is kind of funny looking with my dead legs.  
 Holding onto my finger.  
And the proud papa!! 

5 comments:

Alyson said...

I rememer on my wedding day and on the days my children were born, I sat there thinking, this is one of the most important days of my life! I only get a few of these major life evens! And everyone out there on the road is driving by not even knowing how important this is.

I thought of you all day. I wasn't just one of those guys on the road. My heart was all in, all day. Welcome Bethany!

The Gardners said...

Oh my gosh, a girl!! How fun to be surprised! Reading your post makes me really nostalgic! There is nothing that compares, in my mind, to giving birth and seeing your baby for the first time! It is so incredible! Glad it went so well! I'm so excited for you guys! -XOXO

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Congrats to you and baby Bethany!!! I love hearing the labor stories!!! And living through it via GroupMe!

Hksedwick said...

I love the look on your face when she latched on. Beautiful mama moment!!

Becca said...

YAY for baby Bethany!!! I love hearing birth stories so I'm glad you remembered it all. :) She's a cutie and I still can't decide who she looks like out of your kids...a new version. ;) I also love the dead leg picture. Good job mama!