Wednesday, September 16, 2009

CA Vacation part 3- Redwoods: Avenue of Giants

Tuesday (Sept. 1st)
We left Chico and headed for the coast.  On the way, we drove down the Avenue of Giants to see some of the amazing Redwood forest.  This post will be a large photo dump.  Prepare yourself. :) I had a hard time deciding which ones to use. 

My brother-in-law is circled in red at the bottom of the tree to show how ginormous these trees are!
My cute niece Kari (4).  We thought this fallen tree was big.  Just wait! 
My sister Mickelle and niece Kaitlyn.  Again, HUGE tree.  But just wait...
McKenna flying.  No big deal. :)
Our family "inside" one of the trees.
We went to the Shrine drive through tree!
There was also a tree wide enough for a car to drive on
We stopped at this little park to give the kids a break.  Here's a fun treehouse- literally.  :)
Cute girl cousins!  Kaitlyn, Kari, and McKenna.
The boys!  Justin, Jonathan, and Dan.
Older girls!  Mickelle, Emily, and Me.
Cousins
They called this "Balancing Tree."  Can you see the 90 degree angle? 
The "Shrine Cathedral."  Three trees growing together!
We also wanted to walk through the tree.  
Beautiful dense forest!

We found a small "hike" to see the Founder's tree. 
Big
Bigger (root system)
Biggest! The fallen Dyerville Giant. See what I mean?
Looking down the fallen tree.  It was getting dark so the lighting wasn't too great.
The end (of the Redwoods). 

5 comments:

James and Kista said...

Holy COW! Those trees are ginormous!

Alyson said...

Ah, now I want to go there so much. I already did, but seeing photos...!

BreAnne said...

Oh my gosh those tress are huge! I am glad that you had a great vacation!

Kellie said...

cute pictures! i love the redwoods!

Mickellerox said...

I love the treehouse pics the best of this bunch :)