Thursday, November 1, 2012

VA Trip- Part 1, Friday

Our little family took a wonderful vacation from Oct 4-11 to my old stomping grounds in Chesapeake,Virginia and then to visit my sister in Alabama.  The main reason for heading back East was for my 10 year high school reunion (more on that later)!! 
If I were to say that airplane rides were difficult, it would be a major understatement!  We packed all the toys, snacks, and electronic devices we could but the bottom line is that little kids are not meant to me cooped up in one place for more than an hour-ish.  I'm trying to forget the plane ride parts of the trip and remember all the other fabulous memories we made.  
This trip was such a big deal to me.  I lived in Chesapeake, VA from 4th grade until I left for college at BYU.  Virginia is still a place I consider "home" even though none of my family lives there anymore.  Every person I knew and every experience I had made a huge impact on my life and helped mold me into what I am today.  That being said, imagine not returning to a place with such significance in your life for 10 years!  Cause that's how my life went.  Since my family moved away after my freshman year of college, I never really had much of an excuse to return.  Granted, many of my dear high school friends and I took very different paths in college, and didn't keep in touch very well, but these were still people I missed and cared about.  
While in VA, we stayed with some good friends, the Dudleys.  I grew up with their youngest daughter, Laura, and we were also freshman year roommates at BYU.  It's very clear the Dudleys are loving being amazing grandparents.  They had so many FUN things to keep our kids occupied and in "new toy" heaven.  
Playing dress up, for example.  
We arrived on a Thursday evening, got settled, and did some grocery shopping.  I don't know if it was something subconscious going on in my mind, but everyone looked familiar to me.  :)  I kept thinking I saw people, friends, friend's parents, and old teachers that I used to know.  I was just soaking everything in and loved everything about being back HOME.  I didn't really even mind the humidity... that much.  

Friday we went to Williamsburg to meet with two of my old BYU roommates.  One lived in Maryland and the other in Richmond.  Thanks again Heather and Mary for making the trek to see us!  
We went to this beautiful wooded park area called Waller Mill Park.  
The kids had a great time playing, but I think Ben was giving us a little "I'm tired" hint.  
 And sure enough, they both crashed within 5 minutes of leaving the park.  
We had to have a little photo shoot though.  
Baby C. S. (turned 1 in July), Baby C. D. (turned 1 in Sept.), and my baby Ben (will be 2 in Jan.)
 Gotta add my big girl too! :)
 The moms with their babes
 Add the daddies!  
 We cleaned up a little after arriving back in Cheapeake and then headed over to the Andrews' house for a delicious dinner!  Bonnie, Joel and their sweet daughter Kate were SO nice to host us and let our kids play with every toy in sight!  McKenna still says playing with the "princess stuff" was her favorite part of the trip! 


All of these friends have had such a great influence in my life and I'm so glad, if even for a brief time, that we were able to reconnect with them.

5 comments:

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

A little jealous of all your fun times... Oh well. I need to do better at visiting with friends when we go up :)

Mary said...

and WE are so grateful that you guys flew and drove all over to make it happen!!! not to mention the influence YOU have had on our lives. we love you! :)

Mary said...

so, i guess i'm a robot because i've had to try to post a comment about 5 times. anyway, i just want to say that we are grateful that you traveled all over to see us! not to mention how much you are also an example and have a lot of influence in my life as well. love you!! xo

Becca said...

I'm super jealous right now!!! I love these pictures and that you got to see so many people while there!! VA 4 EVER!!! :)

Butler Family said...

that is awesome you got to come back here and visit old friends! Looks like you had a great time